Tree Planting Festival
Friday 22 - Monday 25 September 2017 (Public Holiday Weekend - 4 Days)
Eco-Week (Monday 25 September - Friday 29 September 2017)
(EVENT HOSTED BY TERRA-KHAYA: EARTH HOME PROJECT
TREE PLANTING DAY HOSTED BY GREENPOP
Join us and have fun, plant trees, learn lots, boogy the nights away with local musos and DJ’s, eat well, attend environmental workshops and experience the beauty of Hogsback and Terra-Khaya. We will plant thousands of trees and grow more enchanted forests in the Amathole Mountains. Hogsback’s incredible Yellow-wood forests are home to the endangered Cape Parrot, Samango Monkey and other endangered species. By rehabilitating the wattle invaded land and planting indigenous trees in this unique cloud sanctuary, we will be growing diversity and enhancing the abundance of life in our threatened forests and adjacent grasslands.
The festival is hosted by Terra-Khaya “Earth Home Project” with Greenpop partnering with us to host the tree planting day. All who attend can expect to enjoy hikes in Hogsback’s incredible forests, attend and participate in workshops, do yoga, plant trees, enjoy delicious meals, live local music and visit the oldest Yellowwood in the Eastern Cape!
The Amathole Mountain Range has one of the richest forest communities in Southern Africa and the central region around Hogsback is considered to host the greatest diversity of Afromontain Species within the range. 1215 species of plants, many of which are endemic, have been identified in the area. The Amathole region is also home to a number of endangered and at risk species including the Cape Parrot, the Amathole toad, and Samango monkeys.
This biodiversity hotspot has suffered a history of exploitation at the hands of man and large areas of the forested region have been actively deforested and degraded since the 1820s. Many key forest species, including Yellowwood and Sneezewood have been removed for building purposes and the indigenous forests of the area have been seriously impacted. Another chief challenge in the area is the predominance of invasive plant species, including Black Wattle, Pine, Blackwood, American Brable and Eucalyptus which have resulted in a series of impacts on local indigenous vegetation and wildlife including a reduction in habitat, reduced runoff, accelerated erosion of soils and more.
Be the change you want to see in the world!
Festival Ticket Prices:Friday pm – Monday MorningAdults: R580 (Early Bird Tickets R500.00 till 25 Aug 17)Children: 4-12yrs: R380 (Early Bird Tickets R300.00 till 25 Aug 17)
- Festival entry for the full 3 day/night festival
- Camping at Terra-Khaya
- 3 delicious vegetarian meals on the Saturday (planting day)
- Trees for planting
- Great party night on the Saturday eve with live bands and DJs
- Discussion groups and market on the Sunday
- Meals on the Friday, Sunday and Monday (Optional extra - reduced rates for pre-booked meals)
- Accommodation (you will need to book your own accommodation at Terra-Khaya or other accomodation establishments in Hogsback separately - (please see list below)
- Accommodation, meals or courses costs for the eco-week (26 September - 2 October).
- Drinks from the bar
- Transport to the festival
Book your tickets below
Monday 25 September - Friday 29 September 2017
An add-on week of workshops, courses and discussions. Pay as you go - stay for the week or part thereof. Pay for accommodation, camping, courses and meals as you require. Camping at Terra-Khaya is free for the eco-week. The topics covered include Permaculture, Natural Building, Foraging, Medicinal Plants and Herbs, Natural Horsemanship, Beekeeping and many more! Keep an eye on our Facebook page
for updates on speakers
Camping for the festival, at Terra-Khaya is included in your ticket price. If you prefer to stay in alternative accommodation, please book this in advance, with Terra Khaya or another Hogsback establishment. This accommodation is not included in your ticket price.
Other Accommodation in Hogsback:
- Daneswold Cottage: Sleeps 4 (our neighboring farm, with beautiful views) Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bubuhle Self-Catering Cottages: 2 Beautiful cottages, just down the road from us. Contact: email@example.com
- Camelot Self-Catering Cottages: 2 cottages that sleep 2 and 4. (about 6km from venue) Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Edge: Medium - upmarket accommodation (3.5km from venue). Contact: email@example.com
- Elundini Backpackers: Camping, Dorms & Double rooms (25km from venue). Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hobbiton: Basic dorm accommodation (10km from venue). Contact: email@example.com
- Or visit www.hogsbackinfo.co.za